WELCOME, FELLOW ALCHEMIST!
If you’re here, you are an alchemist. Perhaps you are a birth worker, a hungry mother with a young child, or simply someone who loves to cook and is searching for their calling in life. I designed this course with you in mind. To support those looking to support others, to inspire other women to start businesses, to remind us how to feed ourselves, and how to feed each other.
YOU HAVE A HUNGER
Whether you are pregnant, newly postpartum, a soon-to-be-grandmother, a seasoned grandmother, a father, a sister or a friend, learning about medicinal postpartum food (which is really comfort food) alters and shapes our cooking for years to come – not to mention our sense of well being, and our ability to show up powerfully for those that we love. Utilizing modern ‘super foods’ as well as traditional staples from our global ancestry, comfort food is the perfect antidote to a modern lifestyle.
YOU HAVE A GIFT
I see a deep hunger for meaningful service in the world. We want to know that our lives have purpose, and that our time and energy will be received with gratitude, creating harmony and health for all. Today in America and elsewhere, postpartum mothers need more support than any other time in their life. The reason is that the woman has just brought life into the world. And she is responsible for keeping that life safe, happy and thriving well into the teenage years. She is responsible for raising the next generation of humans. This is a huge task, and one that requires more care than we currently offer.
Meanwhile, in cultures all around the world it is traditional to pamper the mother after birth, to allow her to rest, to feed her nourishing broths, stews, soups and milks and replenish her vital life force. Mothers are massaged, oiled, steamed, warmed, lightly roasted and gently poached back to wellness. Traditional cultures know that when we take care of the mother, we take care of the entire community. In the west, we have forgotten these time worn traditions and thrown the baby (in this case, the mother) out with the bathwater.
NOW IS YOUR TIME
This is where you come in. Mothers need us more than ever – the care takers, the lovers, the gentle healing hands, the weavers and the wisdom keepers. You are needed bh by Mother Earth and the mothers of tomorrow’s children. I am passionate about making sure that these world leaders are taken care of, and for me to do that really well, I need YOU. Your love, your hands, your heart and your thirst to take care of the ones who are taking care of so much, day in, and day out. I want to teach you to do what I am doing and for you to feed mothers all around the world, where my hands cannot reach.
WEAVING THE PAST WITH THE FUTURE
The Postpartum Kitchen Online Apprenticeship will inspire and instruct you in the ways of postpartum medicinal foods and traditional care practices from around the world. You will receive recipes, rituals and tips for self care, nourishment and self soothing to weave into your daily life and offerings immediately. Learn how to take back postpartum and to take care of the mothers in your life who you love. When mothers feel supported, nourished and loved they are unstoppable. And when women are well, the world is well.
HERE’S WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
- How to cook for the first 40 days of postpartum utilizing generations of wisdom and a variety of traditions from global cultures
- How to weave this wisdom into your own approach to postpartum in the modern western world
- The functional benefits of fancy foods like adaptogens + galactagogues
- The functional benefits of every day foods you may already have in your pantry – secret superfoods!
- Why postpartum care is so important
- Why cooking + eating for the planet is so important
- Simple rituals of self care to weave into your daily life
HERE’S WHAT YOU WILL RECEIVE:
- 30 page printable recipe book
- 6 recorded instructional lessons
- One live Q&A webinar with Sophie
- A community of like minded women doing the same work as you
- VIP access to our exclusive community forum
- Lifetime discount of 20% off items in our SHOP
- Special gifts and more…
AND HERE’S A LOOK AT OUR WEEKS TOGETHER:
Week One – The Big Picture: Why We Do What We Do + Why It Is Important to Continue.
Week Two – Postpartum Principles: Warmth, Bowls, Mugs + The First 40 Days.
Week Three – The Good, The Bad, and the Galactagogues: Plant Fats, Butter + Milk Making Medicines.
Week Four – Adaptogens + Secret Superfoods: Everyday Heroines + Everyday Activism.
Week Five – Super Fancy Super Foods: The Special Luxuries, Self Care Rituals + Self Worth.
Week Six – Global Practices of Postpartum + How to Create Modern Rituals for Millennial Women: Alchemizing the Traditions of History With the Needs of Today.
*Each week includes a playful homework activity to bring this work into your life and to deepen your offering in the world.
WHO IS TEACHING ME?
- I grew up in Australia on the rugged west coast by the Indian Ocean.
- Deeply intuitive from a young age, I grew into a gangly duckling, was scouted by a modeling agent, became an international model, and developed anorexia.
- For the next few years I would spend a lot of time figuring out how to heal myself of this mental, physical and cultural infliction of self-harm.
- A passionate but introverted creative I threw myself into writing and wrote acres of words while living in New York. I self published my first book, The Beginning of an Inexplicable Journey in 2011.
- Then I met my soul mate in a Sleepless in Seattle stroke of destiny, we moved out of the city, had a baby and my life was turned upside down again.
- Becoming a mother brought me back to my practices of self-care. I had to re-learn how to nourish myself as well as the tiny being I was responsible for. My life was getting up-leveled.
- I studied with the Institute for Integrative Nutrition (IIN) for a year and became a health coach when my son was a year old.
- I was then called to study shamanism in Ojai and became an initiated full mesa carrier in the Q’eros tradition, a deeply reverent culture of mother earth respect and ‘ayni’ – the principle of reciprocity.
- I felt myself to be a pampa mesayok – a day keeper, the ones who take care of the daily world here on earth: midwives, doulas, herbalists, medicine people.
- Soon I realized that postpartum food delivery had been knocking on my door for years. Milk + Seed was born. I began cooking for postpartum women almost immediately, as well as offering Mother Blessing ceremonies for women during pregnancy.
- The business continues to grow!
HOW WILL THIS HELP ME?
The Postpartum Kitchen Online Apprenticeship offers those hungering for traditional wisdom with a tool-kit of nurturing recipes, rituals and resources, each carefully designed to support modern women as they embark upon the life changing journey of mothering themselves and their children. It is designed to inspire birth workers and seekers to start offering this work in the world, wherever you are and with whatever you have at your fingertips. For mothers, this apprenticeship will provide you with the tools and foundational wisdom with which to nourish yourself for years to come. We feed you, you feed the future!
Women are in their postpartum chapter for a brief flash. Make sure to fill your cup, or learn how to fill others’, so that the mothers of our world can continue giving long into their elder years. Invest in your well being, so you can invest in tomorrow.
Registration is limited and classes occur only three times per year. Reserve your place today and begin your journey now. For Scholarships please fill out this application and we will be in touch as soon as possible.